Skip to main content

Books in my life

Books in my life - Книги в моей жизни

A book is one of the greatest wonders of world. Why are so many people fond of reading?

The world of books is full of wonders. Together with the characters of books you can find yourself in different places and countries, have a lot of adventures.

The book is a faithful friend. They form our values and characters. We try to look like the characters of our favourite books: to be brave, honest, not to be silly and greedy, to be real friends. We enjoyed the beauty and wisdom of fairy-tales and fables when we were babies and Granny read them. They taught us to be kind, clever, hardworking, to understand other people and help them.

. Books have been with us since childhood. Who hasn’t read «Alice in the wonderland», «Mowgli»? Who hasn’t travelled with Marry Poppins to her imaginary world? Who hasn’t imagined himself to be Robinson Crusoe on the deserted island? They teach us to understand the beauty of nature, take care of it, to love our homeland.

People are fond of reading different kinds of books. Some people enjoy reading detective stories, adventure stories, novels, biographies, other prefer classics. Fairy tales are enjoyed and read by children, books about adventures and journeys are enjoyed by those who are fond of travelling. Legends and myths are read by those who are fond of history.

I like to read almost all books. If I have got time I like to spend it with my favourite book. When I was fifteen I was fond of reading too. But I preferred to read books about travels. I travelled with the heroes of the stories. I saw many interesting places and learned a lot of important facts about other countries and people. Now I like to read books on science. You can learn many things from books. I am sure that books play a very important role in my life. Our family has got many books. My mother says that books help us in self-education.

In ancient times books were written by hand. It was difficult to write a book with a pen. Then printing came into our life. Printing played an important role in the development of literature and culture. Now there are a lot of books in the shops, there are many books in our flats. But it is difficult to buy all books which we want to read. That's why we get books in public libraries.

But today many people say that modern life is so fast and full of action that they don’t have time and desire to read books; they consider reading to be nothing more than waste of time. Furthermore there are a lot of people who are sure that products of modern technologies like computers can replace traditional books.

Nevertheless, there still exist people, who receive pleasure from the special atmosphere that books create and who believe that books will never disappear from their lives. They feel certain that books teach us what is right and what is wrong; they enrich the inner world of a reader and certainly entertain him. As opposed to computers books are portable and you can enjoy reading even in public transport.

Though I’m not a bookworm I like to spend my free time reading a good book. I’m fond of reading because it provides a lot of space for imagination: I like to conjure the characters and how they look like, I always try to predict how I would behave if I were in the shoes of this or that character. When I read a book I usually entirely immerse myself into it; I live in this imaginary world and enjoy it.

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Expert - Exam Practice 3

Vocabulary and Grammar For questions 1–6, read the text below and think of the word that best fits each gap. Use only one word in each gap. DECIDING ON MY FUTURE When I left school, I really had no idea of what I wanted to do next and found myself with a lot of (1)  __________ on my hands. I knew I wanted to do something useful that would enable me to help others, but had been warned by my father not to make any snap (2) __________ or decisions. He advised me to think long and hard, try a few jobs and talk to people in different areas as well as seek careers advice. The first job I got was working in a hospital as an orderly but after only a matter of months I felt (3) __________ in a rut and wanted out. It was, I realised, unsatisfying and really just a (4) __________ to an end. That simply wouldn’t do. However, when working at the hospital I did gain an insight into other work that people did there and, after attending an open day at the local nursing college, I rea

Reported speech: Special Introductory verbs

 

CAE Expert Progress test 2

Advanced Expert Progress Test 2 (Modules 3–4) ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS Vocabulary and Grammar 1 For questions 1–9, read the sentences below and decide which answer (A, B, C or D) best fits each gap. I’m not sure if the weather (1) _____ any good next Friday but let’s hope so. It’s been quite off and (2) _____ this week; showers one minute, sunshine the next. As long as it’s not windy, we’ll be fine. I know you’ve never done a parachute jump before but I guarantee you’ll get a real (3) _____ from it. Admittedly, the first time I had butterflies in my stomach the moment the plane left the (4) _____ and when it came to the actual jump, I found myself (5) _____ to the spot before someone kindly helped me out of the plane. As soon as I got over my initial fear, I realised how much I loved the experience and how silly it was to get into a (6) _____ about jumping out of the plane. After all, doing a tandem jump is really straightforward. Once they’ve given us the special (7)  __