Skip to main content

Live to work or work to live

Live to Work.

I have had the pleasure of working with some fantastic people in my volunteer positions. The individuals are truly remarkable as their profession drives them to become better people. You know who I am talking about- the front line workers in agencies, the child and youth workers, the teachers. These individuals don’t do the work that they do for the money. Let’s face it, they don’t make all that much. For them, for most of them anyway, it is about  helping those who need help. One of my best friends’ mom works as an end-of-life nurse in the childrens’ ward. That is the most difficult job I have heard of. Yet, she does it day after day because to her it’s important that someone is there to take care of these children. One of my other friends work in Toronto as a fundraiser for a youth charity. He spends his days contacting different funders to raise funds so the youth in his neighbourhood have a place to go after school. There are many other examples that are out there of people who lives revolve around the meaning of the work that they do.
Not everyone who lives to work works under those conditions, I know many people who work in sales/ marketing/ advertising/ programming who truly enjoy doing so and look forward to the next day. I find that people work in creative fields mostly don’t have an issue taking there work home with them. To them it is a part of who they are, a part of their identity. Creative people will work for days at a time on a project that pays nothing, as long as they are passionate about it.


Work to live.

My parents have been in the work force for more than 25 years. They both enjoy their jobs, but they don’t like bringing it home with them. My mom especially values her personal life and will go to extreme measure to ensure that they are not connected. To her, her career has always been a means to an end. This is not to say that she doesn’t enjoy what she does- she does. And she is brilliant at it. She does however, enjoy spending time with her family a lot more. My father is the same way. He has slowly transitioned from being involved directly in how he generated an income to slowly creating multiple passive streams- mostly focusing on real estate . This is allowing him to travel, and spend time on projects that he is truly passionate about.
I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who is now a banker, and he stated that he works hard at his job in order to be able to afford the things that he wants outside of work. That makes sense to me. If you are in a career path where you work to earn a living and do with that living what you are passionate about, then it all balances out. However, that is not always the case- some people allows for their salary to inflate their lifestyle, buying houses and cars that they can’t afford, thus make it extremely unpleasant and difficult to walk away from their jobs.
Personally, my current job allows me to exercise my creative demons and gives me the flexibility to do what I would like outside of work. The downside of what I do involves a lot of traveling, and commuting. It also involves office politics, which I absolutely can not stand. For these reasons, I hate mixing my professional and personal life. I am  a lot younger than most of the people in my office, especially for my role and I rather not have co-workers judge my work based my personal life. With the limited free time that I get I volunteer with organizations that I truly care about, spend time with family and friends, play and watch a lot sports, and have the means to generally buy what I want. I do wonder if there is a job that I would enjoy more, a job that I wouldn’t mind overlapping in my day to day life.

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Expert - Exam Practice 3

Vocabulary and Grammar For questions 1–6, read the text below and think of the word that best fits each gap. Use only one word in each gap. DECIDING ON MY FUTURE When I left school, I really had no idea of what I wanted to do next and found myself with a lot of (1)  __________ on my hands. I knew I wanted to do something useful that would enable me to help others, but had been warned by my father not to make any snap (2) __________ or decisions. He advised me to think long and hard, try a few jobs and talk to people in different areas as well as seek careers advice. The first job I got was working in a hospital as an orderly but after only a matter of months I felt (3) __________ in a rut and wanted out. It was, I realised, unsatisfying and really just a (4) __________ to an end. That simply wouldn’t do. However, when working at the hospital I did gain an insight into other work that people did there and, after attending an open day at the local nursing college, I rea

Reported speech: Special Introductory verbs

 

CAE Expert Progress test 2

Advanced Expert Progress Test 2 (Modules 3–4) ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS Vocabulary and Grammar 1 For questions 1–9, read the sentences below and decide which answer (A, B, C or D) best fits each gap. I’m not sure if the weather (1) _____ any good next Friday but let’s hope so. It’s been quite off and (2) _____ this week; showers one minute, sunshine the next. As long as it’s not windy, we’ll be fine. I know you’ve never done a parachute jump before but I guarantee you’ll get a real (3) _____ from it. Admittedly, the first time I had butterflies in my stomach the moment the plane left the (4) _____ and when it came to the actual jump, I found myself (5) _____ to the spot before someone kindly helped me out of the plane. As soon as I got over my initial fear, I realised how much I loved the experience and how silly it was to get into a (6) _____ about jumping out of the plane. After all, doing a tandem jump is really straightforward. Once they’ve given us the special (7)  __